Academic advising is critical to your success at Creighton. At Creighton, you have ultimate responsibility for making academic choices and planning your studies, but your advisor will help you take full advantage of opportunities in the College and at the University. Advisement at Creighton is anchored by the Ratio Studiorum Program and the major advisors that each student will select as they progress through their studies. Advisors in the deanís office, as well as pre-health and pre-law advisors also support you.
We work hard to provide you with the support you need to succeed in the crucial first year of college and the years to come. As a freshman, you will be assigned to a Ratio Studiorum 100 section consisting of a Faculty Preceptor, one Decurion (junior or senior student assistant), and 15 - 20 other freshman. The Faculty Preceptor will serve as your academic advisor throughout your freshman year. The group will meet once a week for 50 minutes during the fall semester. The course will cover topics such as learning strategies, student integrity, and the value of a liberal arts education.
RSP 100: An Introduction to the Culture of Collegiate Life
You will be introduced to Creighton University's Ratio Studiorum or Plan of Study in this one-credit, letter-graded course. Led by a Faculty Preceptor and Decurion, the course will cover such topics as the Ratio Studiorum at Creighton, the value of a liberal arts education, academic and student integrity, obstacles to learning, and learning strategies. You will read and discuss a book selected by the Faculty Preceptor that addresses self-exploration and self-discover
- The Faculty Preceptor will teach the RSP 100 course and will also serve as the first-year student's academic advisor. This is in keeping with the original Ratio's intention to provide a principal person in a student's educational formation. A hallmark of Jesuit education is the cura personalis that the student will experience through this relationship.
- A Decurion is a peer academic leader, nominated by a Faculty Preceptor, who provides opportunities for meaningful personal connections in the university setting and expands the awareness of effective study strategies. Together with the Faculty Preceptor, the Decurion will help students achieve the academic results that they desire.
- A Beadle is an appointed leader-intern serving as assistant to the Preceptor and Decurion in the RSP 100 course.
RSP 200: Discernment and Decision
RSP 200 provides the student beyond the first year with ongoing advisement and a series of discernment activities and events designed to help him or her decide on a full Plan of Study. This will include the academic core and major/minor exploration.
- RSP 200 starts with self-selection of a Pre-Major Advisor made in consultation with the Faculty Preceptor during the registration process for third semester courses. There are approximately 26 Pre-Major Advisors from which to choose through the Registrar's online registration system.
- Pre-Major Advisors are Creighton University administrators or counselors that are committed to RSP 200. Visit www2.creighton.edu/ratiostudiorum/rsp200/ to research your options for Pre-Major Advisors.
- In addition to pre-major advising, RSP 200 offers a series of discernment activities leading to a choice of the academic major/minor. This includes the administration of and activities related to The Gallup Organization's StrengthsQuest assessment, known as StrengthsFinder, that reveals a student's five greatest areas of talent. For a description of the discernment events and activities visit http://www2.creighton.edu/ratiostudiorum/rsp200/.
- The Pre-Major Advisor will continue to work with the CCAS student until the student decides on a major program of study. Upon acceptance into the major, your primary advisor will be a faculty member from the department in which the major is offered.
The Pre-Law Advisory Committee provides advisors for you if you are interested in law school. Appointments can be scheduled by calling the office number of any of the faculty listed below.
Dr. Scott Hendrickson (Chair)
Creighton Hall, Rm 429C
Dr. Matthew Huss
Hixson-Lied Rm 307
Dr. Roxana Recio
Humanities Center Rm 225
Dr. Kathleen Rettig
Creighton Hall Rm 129B
Dr. William O. Stephens (On sabbatical for 2012-2013 academic year)
Humanities Center Rm 116
Dr. Amy Wendling
Humanities Center Rm 120
Dr. Elizabeth Elliot-Meisel
Creighton Hall 328
Pre-Health Sciences Advising
*Includes Pre-Medicine/Pre-Dental, Pre-Occupational Therapy, Pre-Pharmacy, and Pre-Physical Therapy
Pre-Health Sciences advising is provided by faculty members in academic departments throughout the College of Arts and Sciences and other departments in the University. The advisors are available to assist you with questions about many of the diverse opportunities available in health related careers.
Dr. Charles Austerberry (online)
Dr. Barron Breland
Lied Arts Rm 212C
Dr. Ted Burk
Hixson-Lied Rm 442
Dr. Shih Chuan Cheng
Old Gym Rm 233
Dr. Soochin Cho (online)
Hixson-Lied Rm 425
Dr. Christina Clark
Humanities Center Rm 211
Dr. Gary Michels (online)
Rigge Rm 207
Dr. Premchand Nair (online)
Old Gym Rm 232
Dr. Michael Nichols
Hixson-Lied Rm G75
Dr. Anne Ozar
Humanities Center Rm 119
Dr. Bill Raynovich
Dr. Alexander Roclach
Creighton Hall Rm 441A
Dr. Juliane Soukup
Rigge Rm 233
Dr. Dustin Stairs
Hixson-Lied Rm 308
Mr. Brian Kokensparger (online)
Hixson-Lied Rm G06
Other Advising and Support
Creighton supplements the guidance provided through the Ratio Studiorum program with the Center for Student Success, Creighton Career Center, the Writing Center, the Math Lab and Creighton faculty.
The Creighton Center for Student Success offers The Study where you can take advantage of FREE evening tutoring services. At the Creighton Career Center, you can work with career advisors to clarify their goals, find career options, explore their interests and abilities, and develop job marketing skills. At the Writing Center and Math Lab, you can make an appointment to get individualized help at no charge. You can also get support from faculty one-on-one. All these options are available to you and combined they help make Creighton a unique community of learners.